International Gas Turbine Institute (IGTI)
Dedicated to supporting the international exchange and development of information to improve the design, application, manufacture, operation and maintenance, and environmental impact of all types of gas turbines, turbomachinery and related equipment.
Akin Keskin, Chair
Karen Thole, Vice-Chair
The Pennsylvania State University
Kenneth Suder, Past Chair
NASA Glenn Research Center
Jaroslaw Szwedowicz, Turbo Expo Representative
Siemens Energy AG
Vassilios Pachidis, Member
Jacqueline O'Connor, Member
The Pennsylvania State University
Douglas Hofer, Member
Southwest Research Institute
Laura Herrera, Staff Liaison
Gas Turbine Technology Group
Sean Bradshaw, Chair
Pratt & Whitney
Akin Keskin, IGTI EC Representative
Nateri Madavan, Member
Caroline Marchmont, Member
Richard Sandberg, Member
University of Melbourne
Susan Scofield, Member
Charles Soothill, Member
Sina C. Stapelfeldt, Member
Imperial College London
Peter Stuttaford, Member
Liping Wang, Member
GE Global Research
Laura Herrera, Staff Liaison
Global Gas Turbine News
The Global Gas Turbine News (GGTN) is published quarterly inside ASME's Mechanical Engineering magazine. The GGTN provides technical content as well as updates on industry and ASME IGTI events.
If you are an ASME member, you automatically receive Mechanical Engineering as part of your membership. For single-issue reprints of Mechanical Engineering or to subscribe, call 1-800-THE ASME.
Recent GGTN issues:
August / September 2022
April / May 2022
December 2021 / January 2022
October / November 2021
April / May 2021
February / March 2021
The International Gas Turbine Institute (IGTI) is a Group of The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) under the ASME Gas Turbine Technology Group. ASME helps the global engineering community develop solutions to real world challenges. Founded in 1880, ASME is a not-for-profit professional organization that enables collaboration, knowledge sharing and skill development across all engineering disciplines, while promoting the vital role of the engineer in society. ASME codes and standards, publications, conferences, continuing education and professional development programs provide a foundation for advancing technical knowledge and a safer world.
IGTI's Mission Statement
Support the IGTI technical committees to disseminate knowledge and research at Turbo Expo and other venues.
Empower a diverse communityof future thought leaders.
Foster a diverse global network of of experts in academia, industry, and government.
Attract and develop diverse engineers and scientists throughout their career journeys.
IGTI Vision Statement
To be the world's leader of innovative gas turbine and energy conversion technologies powering a sustabinable way of life.
The International Gas Turbine Institute has no formal individual or corporate members. Individuals interested in participating in the International Gas Turbine Institute should become members of ASME. Upon joining ASME, new members are asked to select specific areas of interest. Upon selection of gas turbines (technical interest #22), new ASME members will regularly receive the Global Gas Turbine News, the official newsletter of IGTI, as well as regular mailings from both IGTI and ASME, and are eligible for a discounted subscription to either the Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power or the Journal of Turbomachinery.
ASME membership qualifies individuals for substantial cost discounts on both IGTI and ASME programs and products.
ASME IGTI Committees
The heart of the ASME International Gas Turbine Institute is its highly successful committee structure. ASME IGTI's Committees provide regular ongoing forums for program development and technical exchange, addressing all areas of technical expertise related to gas turbines, turbomachinery and related equipment.
The Committees organize the high quality paper and panel sessions for the annual conferences sponsored by ASME IGTI. Committee members consist of leading engineers in close contact with the latest developments in turbomachinery equipment, improvements in techniques, and introductions of new practices. They bring such developments to the annual ASME TURBO EXPO where these activities may be reported, discussed freely, and their benefits shared by the entire turbomachinery community.
Over 30 countries are represented by the Committee membership, derived from academic, government, and industrial affiliations.
All ASME IGTI Committees support their individual missions with the following activities:
- Monitoring current issues and trends in gas turbines, turbomachinery, and related equipment, and organizing related sessions for the TURBO EXPO or other related programs. Committee members assist in this process by suggesting session topics, presenting papers, participating on panel discussions, and acting as Session Chair or Vice Chair.
- Supporting the ASME IGTI Review process, which assures quality peer reviewed published paper presentations. Committee members assist in this by coordinating peer reviews according to the ASME IGTI guidelines, communicating needed revisions to the author, reviewing papers, and assisting the Journal editors.
- Encouraging cooperation with other professional societies who share common interests. ASME has cooperative agreements with many engineering societies throughout the world. Although ASME membership is not required to join an ASME IGTI Committee, it is recommended. ASME membership is required to serve as Committee Chair or Vice Chair.
- Actively working to expand the membership to maintain the breadth and depth of experience necessary to address the Committee's focused area of interest. The most valued benefit of being an active Committee member is the opportunity to interact with an international membership of leading professionals in the turbomachinery industry.
- Recognizing technical accomplishments by nominating papers for ASME and Committee awards. Several highly-respected awards are presented annually at the ASME TURBO EXPO.
If you are interested in becoming involved in one or more of the Committees, simply contact the related Chair. The Committees differ slightly in their membership requirements, but in most cases it would be helpful to provide a letter of interest, a resume, and (if appropriate) a letter of support from your employer. Attend a Committee meeting. Committee meetings are open to all interested persons. Each Committee differs on the frequency and location of their meetings. However, all of the Committees meet at the annual ASME TURBO EXPO.
- Aircraft Engine Committee
- Ceramics Committee
- Coal, Biomass & Alternative Fuels Committee
- Combustion, Fuels & Emissions Committee
- Controls, Diagnostics & Instrumentation Committee
- Cycle Innovations Committee
- Education Committee
- Electric Power Committee
- Energy Storage
- Fans and Blowers Committee
- Gas Turbine India Group
- Heat Transfer Committee
- Industrial & Cogeneration Committee
- Manufacturing Materials & Metallurgy Committee
- Microturbines, Turbochargers & Small Turbomachines Committee
- Oil & Gas Applications Committee
- Steam Turbine Committee
- Structures & Dynamics Committee
- Student Advisory Committee
- Supercritical CO2 Committee
- Turbomachinery Committee
- Wind Energy Committee
Honors & Awards
- The ASME R. Tom Sawyer Award
- The ASME Gas Turbine Award
- The ASME IGTI Scholar Award
- The ASME IGTI John P. Davis Award
- The ASME IGTI Aircraft Engine Technology Award
- The ASME IGTI Industrial Gas Turbine Technology Award
- ASME IGTI Dilip R. Ballal Early Career Award
- ASME IGTI Committee Best Paper Awards
- Turbo Expo Early Career Engineer Travel Award
- ASME IGTI Student Scholarship Program
- The ASME IGTI Student Advisory Committee Travel Award
IGTI Division Events
ASME 2023 Turbo Expo Conference
June 26 – 30, 2023
Hynes Convention Center
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
The technical program and exhibits will be held at the Hynes Convention Center.
ASME 2024 Turbo Expo Conference
June 24 – 28, 2024
London, United Kingdom
The technical program and exhibits will be held at the ExCeL London Convention Centre
ASME 2021 AMRGT Symposium (Advanced Manufacturing & Repair for Gas Turbines)
Virtual Event: October 5 – 8, 2021
Presentation Abstract Submission Deadline Date: May 25, 2021
ASME 2021 Gas Turbine India Conference
Virtual Event: December 2 – 3, 2021
Abstract Submission Deadline Date: May 10, 2021
GT Journals Promote Exchange of Technical Knowledge
The Journal of Turbomachinery and the Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power are the ASME quarterly publications focused on disseminating gas turbine technical information of permanent interest.
The Journal of Turbomachinery publishes the best technical papers worldwide that further the technology of turbomachinery related to gas turbine engines. Subject matter scope includes the fluid dynamics and heat transfer aspects of turbomachine design and performance advancement.
Covering a broad spectrum of practical topics of interest to the gas turbine and power industry, the Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power presents archival quality research in stationary, vehicular, and aircraft power systems applications.
Please click here if you are interested in submitting your work for publication in one of these journals.
If you are a current ASME member, and if you have selected the International Gas Turbine Institute (Code #22) as your primary technology interest, then you qualify to receive the ASME Journal of Turbomachinery (TURBO) OR the ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines & Power (GTP) for only $49.00 USD online, $85.00 print or $185.00 international..
Send your subscription request (including renewals) with payment to:
ASME New Jersey Office
150 Clove Road, 6th Floor
Little Falls, NJ 07424-2139
The subsidy CANNOT be obtained through the normal membership dues renewal process nor through the normal journal subscription renewal process. When you, as an ASME member with primary interest #22 (Gas Turbine), are directing your request, remember to include the fee (plus any applicable international postage charge and tax), your choice of one of the journals, and your ASME membership number.
Download the IGTI Subsidy Form