About ASME Scholarships & How to Apply
Mechanical engineering encompasses a dynamic field of knowledge with lifelong learning opportunities.
Financial aid and scholarly recognition for undergraduate and graduate students is available through the various ASME Scholarships listed below. Deadlines and other terms and conditions vary, so please review the list carefully before applying to make sure you meet eligibility requirements for one or more scholarship.
After you have logged in, you will be taken to the scholarship application website run by International Scholarship and Tuition Services, Inc. (ISTS), a firm that specializes in managing sponsored scholarship programs.
At a Glance
About the Program & Criteria
A scholarship is considered by ASME to be a grant made to a student to enable or assist the student in pursuing an educational program in mechanical engineering or mechanical engineering technology at the undergraduate or graduate level. [from ASME Society Policy P-13.5]
- Apply Annually: ASME Scholarships are awarded annually to eligible ASME Student Members.
- Membership Required: You must be a current ASME student member in good standing (for login to the ASME online scholarship application). Click here to Join ASME or to Renew your dues.
- Money for Next-Year Education: ASME Scholarships are used for upcoming studies educational expenses in the next academic year.
- You must be enrolled full-time in Mechanical Engineering (ME), Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET), or closely related engineering studies
- At a community college, college, or university
- ME/MET Major Scope: For your major to qualify as closely related to a Mechanical Engineering major, you must be taking at least 25% of your credits each semester in courses from the Mechanical Engineering Department.
- Accreditation: ASME Scholarships require enrollment in an ABET* accredited, or substantially equivalent, engineering degree program (see below).
- Cumulative College Level GPA: Students must have established their grade point average (GPA) in their degree programs to qualify for ASME Scholarships. If you have not yet established a GPA at the college level, you are not yet eligible for this group of scholarships.
- Universal Application: Many ASME Scholarships have specific eligibility requirements, however, when you complete the online application you will be considered for all scholarships for which you qualify.
Priority may be given to candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Strong ASME leadership role and participation with ASME extra-curricular activities such as holding office in the ASME Student Section or on an ASME committee.
- Leadership within the engineering academic context specified above, and a strong potential for contribution to the mechanical engineering profession identified in a recommendation letter.
- Outstanding humanitarian extra-curricular leadership and activities as a volunteer with another charitable organization using mechanical engineering skills.
- High level of financial need.
ASME Scholarship Program Goals
- Expand the engineering workforce pipeline consistent with ASME’s objectives
- Enable outstanding mechanical engineering students in financial difficulty to graduate
- Encourage continuing participation and leadership in ASME
- Support the education for students whose application shows potential for that student to contribute to the advancement of the art, science and practice of ME and MET or closely related engineering fields
ASME Student Members
ASME undergraduate or graduate student members worldwide are eligible for academic scholarships, with generous funding made possible by donors through the ASME Foundation and the ASME Auxiliary.
Unless noted, an applicant must be an ASME Student Member to login to the online application system.
- Click to Join ASME
- Click to Renew your membership
- If you haven't received or have forgotten your ASME student member number, please request it at CustomerCare@asme.org or call 1-800-THE-ASME (1-800-843-2763).
Note for applicants from outside the United States:
Global indicates that the scholarship has no citizenship or geographic requirements. These scholarships are available to student members studying in the United States who are from other countries. Please see the Complete Scholarship List (PDF) and note the list of ASME Scholarships available to students outside the United States.
Scholarship money for non-US students will be sent by wire transfer to your university bank account in your name and you will need to consult your tax advisor regarding your obligation for possible taxes due on that money.
ABET Accreditation Equivalency: While you do not need to be studying within the United States to be eligible for many of the ASME Scholarships, you must be enrolled in the upcoming academic year at an ABET-accredited (or equivalent) engineering degree program, or be studying at a university recognized by the Washington Accord countries, or one with an equivalent Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA). (No further information about which institutes are accredited will be available by contacting ASME.)
- To see the list of Mutual Recognition Agreement countries.
- To search a database of degree programs directly accredited by ABET.
How to Apply
ASME student members can apply for most ASME scholarships using the ASME Online Scholarship Application.
The Online Scholarship Application is only Open from early December–March 1 (scholarships for the 2020-2021 academic year)APPLY
- December 3: ASME Online Scholarship Application goes live
- March 1: Online Scholarship Application closes.
- By July 15: All applicants will be notified of the scholarship results.
- By August 10: Scholarship checks for domestic students will be sent to scholarship winners, with checks mailed and made payable to the college or university for direct payment of educational expenses. Wire transfers for non-US students will also be paid directly to the educational institution. No money will be issued to students.
Applicants submitting this online ASME scholarship application form will be considered for all of the ASME scholarships for which they are eligible, depending on additional criteria. Complete Scholarships List
Tips for Completing the Online Application:
The ASME Online Scholarship Application has required information noted with an asterisk (*)
Login to the your ASME account using the e-mail address with and password you usually use for your ASME account. If you have misplaced your membership information, please email CustomerCare@asme.org to resend it to you. Be sure your contact info and address is up to date in the ASME database via ASME Customer Care before opening a new application (before you click Apply).
Once you have logged in, you will be taken to your home page. Click the Add New Application button and enter ASMEU in the window that appears. Once you press Apply you will be taken to the application
For assistance in logging into your ASME Account, please contact CustomerCare@asme.org.
Once you’ve successfully logged in, you will be taken to your Scholarship Homepage. From here, click Add New Application and enter ASMEU in the window that appears. Once your press Apply you will be taken to the application.
For further assistance navigating your home page or the application, please contact ASME.University@applyISTS.org or call toll free (U.S. applicants only) 855.276.3734.