Q: I am relocating my Shop facility (currently listed on the ASME Certificate of Authorization) to a new location. Do I need an ASME relocation review at the new shop facility in order to have my ASME Certificate of Authorization revised to show the new shop location?
A: Where there is no change in jurisdiction or Authorized Inspection Agency (AIA) and the distance involved is small enough to ensure that there are no changes in upper management or QC personnel affecting the company's quality Control Program have occurred, an ASME review may be replaced by an audit by the Authorized Inspection Agency of Record if the relocation is within the same jurisdiction. Certificates Holders who are relocating within the same jurisdiction should contact ASME at ca@asme.org if they wish to have an AIA audit conducted in place of an ASME review.


Q: For a Change in shop Location how does a Certificate Holder comply with the requirements in the above Question if they are not required by the Code to use the services of an AIA?
A: For Certificate Holder's of V, HV, UV, UV3, TV, UD, and TD Certificates of Authorization, ASME will require the ASME Designated Organization to conduct an audit of the Certificate Holder to provide written verification of the following; 1. The address of the new location, its distance from the previous shop location and that the new shop location is within the same jurisdiction as the current location listed on the Certificate(s) of Authorization; 2.That there are no changes in upper management or QC personnel affecting the company's quality Control Program; 3. That there has been no change in the scope of manufacturing activities as currently listed in the scope of the Certificate(s) of Authorization; 4. That there is no major equipment change; 5. A summary of the audit conducted by the ASME Designated Organization at the new shop location to ensure that the Certificate Holder is implementing their Quality Control System, previously accepted at the last ASME review; and 6. That the ASME Designated Organization has tested two pressure relief devices per test medium manufactured/assembled at the new shop location and the tested pressure relief devices have met the applicable requirements of the ASME Boiler Code. The Certificate Holder will have the option of either having the audit for a revision to their existing Certificate(s) conducted or a review for early renewal of their Certificate(s).

For H (Cast Iron or Cast Aluminum) a renewal review is required.


Q: I am waiting to be assigned my ASME renewal review dates, or the renewal review is scheduled to occur less than 6 weeks prior to the expiration date of my certificate(s). What steps can I take to ensure that I can continue to fabricate and code stamp components until my new certificate(s) or Authorization are received?
A: Please review the information contained on the ASME webpage, listed under "Additional Information" titled "Notice on Request for Extension of Expiration Dates for Certificate(s)" - In addition, if the renewal review is conducted less than 6 weeks prior to the certificate expiration date you can request the ASME Team Leader to fax the Qualification Review Report (QRR) to ASME along with the Team Leader's recommendation as to whether an extension should be granted by ASME.


Q: Due to a postal redesignation of the address of our current shop, I need to obtain a revised Certificate Authorization. What procedure do I need to follow?
A: The Certificate Holder needs to inform ASME of the address change due to postal redesignation of the building number, street name, zip code, etc. ASME will issue a revised Certificate of Authorization provided the Certificate Holder's AIA of record provides sufficient documentation to ASME to support the Certificate Holder's request. Where there is no AIA involved in the Certificate Holder's Code activities, documentation from the postal authority and/or the jurisdictional authorities where the shop is located would be needed to support the request. There is no charge to revise Certificates of Authorization due to postal redesignation.


Q: I recently changed my AIA of record. Do I need to inform ASME or does the AIA take care of notifying ASME?
A: It is the Certificate Holder's responsibility to immediately inform ASME as soon as they make a change in the AIA of record. Also, ASME should receive notification from the previous AIA of record that they no longer have an inspection agreement with the Certificate Holder and a letter from the new AIA of record indicating that the new AIA has a contract to perform inspection services at the facility located at the address listed on the Certificate Holder's Certificate of Authorization. The Certificate Holder may be required to provide ASME with sufficient documentation to verify that they had a valid contract with an AIA at the time that all components were ASME Code Symbol stamped. This may be required if there a gap between notification of the change of AIA of record and the date the new inspection contract is signed. ASME copies the Certificate Holder's AIA of record on most correspondence to the Certificate Holder. Failure to provide ASME with the name of your current AIA of record may result in the new AIA not receiving notification of important information, or even loss of certification.


Q: My Company's name was recently or is going to be changed. How do I go about getting a Certificate of Authorization with the new name on it?
A: See "Process to Request Name Change on Certificate(s)" Note: Name changes are available for companies undergoing a reorganization or wishing to change the "brand name" on their Certificate, where all essential QC personnel and workforce involved in code activities has essentially remained unchanged and there has been no change in continuity in their quality program meeting ASME quality control requirements. A name change is not available to a company that only purchases the physical assets (i.e., building, equipment) of a Certificate Holder. Certificate and stamps cannot be transferred from one corporate entity to another corporate entity. A full ASME review is required for a different corporate entity to get an ASME Certificate of Authorization and stamp. When requesting a name change the corporate entity requesting the name change is required to submit a letter to ASME on the letterhead of the Corporate name stating that the newly named corporate entity accepts all responsibility for ASME stamped items produced under the certificate of authorization bearing the "new" company name but containing the certificate number previously issued under the "old" company name.


Q: I recently received an ASME U or S Certificate of Authorization. At the time of the review I did not apply for additional Certification. I would now like to apply for an A, PP or UM Certificate. Do I need to have another ASME review?
A: A full ASME review is not required for a Holder of an ASME S who applies for an A or PP Certificate.  A full ASME review is not required for a holder of an ASME U or S Certificate who applies for a UM Certificate. ASME will require written verification from both the ASME Team Leader who conducted the latest review for U accreditation and the Certificate Holder's AIA, who participated in the review, that the Certificate Holder's Quality Control Manual and QC System have been revised to include all additional Code requirements required to fabricate components for the requested Certificate. Upon receipt of a favorable recommendation from both the ASME Team Leader and the AIA and the receipt of applicable fees, ASME will issue the requested Certificate and stamp.


Q: I recently underwent a joint review and received my U Certificate of Authorization. Now I would like to apply for additional certificates (such as an S and U2). Do I need another ASME review?
A: The addition of any Certificate of Authorization would require another joint review with the exception of an S stamp holder applying for an A or PP, or a U or S stamp holder applying for UM accreditation. The conditions for those applicants are described elsewhere in other FAQ's. Requests for additional Certificates, without a full ASME review, made within three months following the date a full ASME review was conducted can be submitted to ASME for approval by the Committee on BPV Conformity Assessment.


Q: I do not intend to renew my ASME Certificate of Authorization. However, I have a job in the shop that I will not be able to complete prior to the expiration date on my Certificates of Authorization. Can I request an extension from ASME to complete the work?
A: A Certificate Holder can apply for a "Work-In-Progress" extension. The Certificate Holder will need to send a letter to ASME at least 30 days prior to the expiration date on the Certificate of Authorization requesting an extension of the appropriate Certificate to complete an ongoing job. The request from the Certificate Holder should include the following information and be accompanied by the applicable fee (shown in renewal application package): Description of the work to be completed, including work/job number, the number and type (S, PP, H, U, etc) of Code components involved and the expected completion date for the work. ASME will contact the Certificate Holder's AIA or ASME Designee, as appropriate, and request: 1. Written verification of the information provided by the Certificate Holder; and 2. Verification that an audit of the Certificate Holder's shop facility has recently been performed and the AIA/Designee is satisfied that the Certificate Holder's Quality Control program is still in place and that they can fabricate Code components in compliance with the applicable requirements in the ASME Code. Upon receipt of a satisfactory report from the AIA/ASME Designee and payment of the applicable fees ASME will issue a Work-In-Progress Extension for a period of up to six months or until completion of the specified job, whichever occurs first. No further extensions will be granted and no additional or new work can be started after the original expiration date shown on the Certificate(s) of Authorization.


Q: I did not submit my application for renewal of my Certificate of Authorization to ASME on time. The renewal review was held after the expiration date on my Certificate of Authorization and I would like to keep my old Certificate number for advertising purposes. What should I do?
A: It is ASME policy to assign new Certificate numbers under the following situations: on the issuance of a Certificate of Authorization for the first time; and when a current Certificate Holder's Certificate of Authorization has expired prior to the date the renewal review was held and no extension was granted by ASME due to failure by the Certificate Holder to submit the renewal application and fees to ASME at least 3 months prior to the expiration date on the Certificate(s). However, the Certificate Holder may submit a written request to ASME stating the reason they wish to have their expired Certificate number reinstated, and the reason for the late submittal of their application for renewal of their Certificate. ASME may grant the request provided: 1. The lapse in certification from the expiration date on the old Certificate of Authorization to the date of issuance or the new Certificate of Authorization has not exceeded three months; or 2. The review was conducted within the three month period but ASME was unable to process the Review Team recommendation within the three-month period.


Q: Which AIA's work outside of the United States and Canada?
A: There are Authorized Inspection Agencies that operate around the world. Please see the AIA list on the ASME web site. Some have listed a website where you can find the locations of their local offices. Otherwise a phone number, fax number and E-mail is provided where you can ask the AIA directly.


Q: Do Authorized Inspection Agencies help write the manual or just review it?
A: You may contact the Authorized Inspection Agencies regarding the services that they provide outside the duties required of them by the ASME Code. Many AIAs will assist the applicant in developing a quality manual.


Q: During the Shop Review required to get an ASME stamp, is it necessary to have a product in process of fabrication?
A: A demonstration or implementation of the quality control system during the Review must include the administrative functions to support the QC system and the manufacturing, fabrication and testing of product necessary to indicate knowledge and ability to produce the items covered by the scope of the system. For evaluation of the QC system, the Applicant must demonstrate sufficient administrative and fabrication functions to show that they have the knowledge and ability to produce the Code items for the type of certification applied for. Fabrication functions may be demonstrated using current work, a mock-up to current Code rules, or a combination of the two.


Q: Does ASME provide consulting to help a company obtain a stamp?
A: ASME can provide support through the application process to obtain a stamp. We do not provide consulting services to develop a quality system that will meet the requirements of the ASME Code. Providing consulting services to a company to arrange their quality system, which we would then approve, would pose a conflict of interest. The Applicant's contracted Authorized Inspection Agency should be able to provide assistance in development of an acceptable QC Manual and provide guidance regarding what will be covered in the ASME review. Additional information regarding development of a QC Manual can be found in the ASME Applicant's Checklist which can be found on the ASME website.

Help Shape ASME

Engineers make up ASME, and it's that passion and knowledge that literally runs the world.

By volunteering you can learn new skills, help the world, and influence the ASME of tomorrow.

Read more about volunteering at ASME