Length: 36 days
Use promo code: 21EL
This online, instructor-supported course explains the layout, scope, and use of Section IX of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code using illustrative examples. It explains and demonstrates the rules for qualification of welding and brazing procedures and personnel. The course also discusses basic rules for the use of Section IX in conjunction with other construction codes. These rules include the identification of responsibilities for procedure and personnel qualification and which activities can be subcontracted by the manufacturer.
Basic characteristics of the welding processes will be presented as a basis for understanding the essential and nonessential variables that are listed for the qualification of procedures and personnel. Some basic metallurgy will be presented to explain the philosophy supporting the essential variable rules of the Code. Examples of welding procedure and personnel qualification documentation will then be presented showing how the essential and nonessential variables are to be identified and documented. Finally, a brief discussion and demonstration will be conducted to show how supplementary essential variables can be addressed when impact toughness is required.
You Will Learn to:
- Explain layout and scope of Section IX of the ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code
- Identify basic rules for finding requirements in Section IX
- Describe practical, instructive welding procedures that are compliant with Section IX
- Describe the qualification of procedures & personnel in Section I
- Describe the basic features of the commonly used welding process
- Explain the concept of carbon equivalent and hardenability of steels
- Identify the nonessential variables and essential variables in the WPS
- Explain how to prepare and modify the PQR and WPS from fundamental data
- Identify supplementary essential variables
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for engineers, supervisors, quality assurance/control personnel, auditors, and other technical personnel working in the boiler, pressure vessel, petrochemical, biopharmaceutical, or other industry whose welding qualifications are governed by ASME BPV Code Section IX.
To take this course you should have a personal computer, Web browser, Internet connection, and software to display PDF files (such as Adobe Reader®).