Length: 5 days
Enroll now to save 37%
Course Schedule: The course commences at 9:30 AM and ends at 2:30 PM Eastern each day, with breaks scheduled throughout.
Are you tasked with the design or fabrication of pressure vessels, but are not sure where to begin with code requirements? This course is a comprehensive introduction to the requirements of the current Edition of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC), Section VIII, Division 1. Beginning with a unique insight into the background and organization of the code, the course will then focus on the design and construction requirements of the code. Participants will also explore requirements applicable to materials, fabrication, inspection, testing, and certification of pressure vessels. The course highlights the most commonly applied subsections, paragraphs, and appendices.
This course focuses on the design, fabrication, and certification of pressure vessels with respect to BPVC, VIII-1. In this course, participants will perform relevant example calculations on Appendix 2 flanges, nozzle reinforcement, and much more! Real world case studies highlight areas such as Opening Reinforcements/ Nozzle Reinforcement and Appendix 2 Bolted Flange Calculation.
By participating in this course, you will learn how to successfully:
- Describe scope, purpose, and organization of the Code.
- Define allowable materials, explain how to reclassify materials, and identify material traceability requirements.
- Explain how to apply the Code rules to common design and fabrication situations.
- Identify the calculations for some of the loadings and situations not addressed by the Code.
- Describe the preparation of design specifications, design reports, data reports, and other documentation
Who should attend?
This course is designed primarily for beginners as well as, experienced vessel designers who would like to update their knowledge with the latest version of the Code.
Those involved with the purchase, design, fabrication, or inspection of pressure vessels. Some technical background will be helpful, but attendees are not required to have an Engineering degree or previous work experience in the subject matter.
Topics covered in this course include:
- Introduction to ASME Codes and Section VIII
- General Design Requirements
- Design for cylindrical shells, dished heads, Flat Heads, Covers and Openings for internal and external pressure
- Fabrication, Testing, Welding, and Examination
- Requirements for Steels and Heat-Treated Materials
Course Materials (included in purchase of course)
- Participants will receive digital access to ASME BPVC, Section VIII, Division 1: Rules for Construction of Pressure Vessels, for the duration of the course.
- Digital course notes via ASME’s Learning Platform
Special features include:
- An Overview of Code Organization
- Overview of Updated Editions
Supplemental Course Materials (not included with course, purchase separately)
- A calculator is required.
Save up to $95 by enrolling in VCPD443; a combo course consisting of this course (VCPD442) and VCPD441, "Inspection, Repair and Alterations of In-Service Pressure Equipment (Virtual Classroom).”
This ASME Virtual Classroom course is held live with an instructor on our online learning platform. Certificate of completion will be issued to registrants who successfully attend and complete the course.
Buying for a team? Get ASME Corporate Training.
Set up a customized session of this course for your workforce. Contact email@example.com to learn more about group rates.