U.S. Representatives Release Report Calling for Increased Federal Support for Artificial Intelligence
Aug 17, 2020
The report offers six key takeaways:
- Overall federal AI R&D spending needs to increase significantly.
- The country needs to expand and diversify its computing capacity.
- The federal government plays a key role in incentivizing private sector R&D.
- There needs to be international cooperation to advance AI research and development.
- The federal government would benefit from opening up avenues for private talent.
- AI standards and measurement are essential to fostering AI technologies that are safe, secure, reliable, and comport with U.S. norms and values.
Rep. Hurd is retiring at the end of this Congress, but believes these ideas could provide a blueprint on AI for the next Congress. Reps. Hurd and Kelly have collaborated with the Bipartisan Policy Center in the past, releasing two previous reports on AI, including one on “AI and the Workforce” and another on “AI and National Security.”