House Transportation Leaders Introduce Bipartisan Water Infrastructure Legislation
Mar 22, 2021
The bill has backing from original co-sponsors Rep. Grace F. Napolitano (D-CA), Chair of the Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment, and Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA), as well as a host of local municipalities, environmental organizations, and business groups engaged in water infrastructure development, water quality, and wastewater management issues.
In addition to authorizing $40 billion for the SRF program to fund low-interest loans and water infrastructure development grants to communities around the country, the bill would:
- Authorize an additional $2 billion for grants to municipalities to capture, treat, or reuse sewer overflows or stormwater.
- Authorize $2.5 billion in grants for states to implement water pollution control programs.
- Provide $1 billion for clean water pilot programs for watershed-based efforts to address wet weather discharges, to promote stormwater best practices, to undertake integrated water resource management, and to increase climate resiliency.
- Authorize $1 billion in grants for alternative water source projects, such as wastewater or stormwater reuse, to augment the existing water supplies.
- Provide $1 billion in Clean Water Act grants to municipalities to implement treatment standards for PFAS and other emerging contaminants.
- Provide $2.5 billion in wastewater infrastructure assistance to address the backlog of critical needs for Indian Tribes.