Driven by global engineering communities, ASME ensures that high-quality, rigorously peer-reviewed content is accessible and available to everyone, while also supporting compliance with government and funder mandates for OA publication, including Plan S for European-funded research.
ASME offers the option for authors to publish their papers Open Access across all our hybrid journals, or in our fully Open Access ASME Open Journal of Engineering with payment of an Article Publishing Charge (APC).
Open Access Types
Gold OA (Paid Open Access)Free to read on the publisher’s site immediately upon publication with author payment of an APC.
Research papers are deposited in a public access (free) repository, which are most often institutional or subject related.
Institutional Repositories: Green OA
- Institutional article deposits are supported with ASME permission. Send permission requests to Journal_repository@asme.org with the following information:
- ASME Paper Number
- URL of paper (after it is published on the ASME Digital Collection)
- Description and link of funder, governmental, or institutional policy
- After the publication of the final paper, the Accepted Manuscript version is eligible for inclusion in an Institutional Repository to meet governmental, funder, or institutional accessibility requirements.
- Inclusion will be with ASME © and a CC-BY reuse license.
- Conference paper institutional deposits are also supported with permission by contacting: email@example.com
Open Access Costs (APC)
ASME Journals (hybrid): $3000
ASME Open Journal of Engineering (AOJE):
- ASME Members: $1700
- Non-members: $1950
- As of January 2023, authors have the option to publish their papers Open Access in all ASME Conference Proceedings
- If the proceedings paper is subsequently published OA in an ASME journal, the $1500 is credited to your journal APC.
Preprint ServersAuthors can submit to preprint servers following the submission to ASME.
US Funded ResearchASME also participates in the CHORUS initiative whereby research papers of participating funders are only made available after a one-year embargo.
Ms. Tamiko Fung
Publishing Coordinator, Journals