National Science Foundation Requests Information on Quantum Information Research
Jun 6, 2019
The National Science Foundation (NSF), in conjunction with the National Science and Technology Council (NSTC) recently released a request for information (RFI) seeking to gain a better understanding of quantum information science (QIS). The goal of this RFI is to provide the NSTC with a better understanding of QIS, which will aid in the creation of stronger QIS policy recommendations.
This main questions the RFI seeks to address are:
- What specific actions could the U.S. Government take that would contribute best to implementing the policy recommendations in the Strategic Overview? What challenges, not listed in section 3, should also be taken into account in implementation of the Strategic Overview recommendations?
- What are the scientific and technological challenges that, with substantial resources and focus over the next ten years, will transform the QIS research and development landscape?
- Regarding industrial engagement, what roles can the U.S. Government play in enabling the innovation ecosystem around QIS-related technologies? Are there critical barriers for industrial innovation in this space? How can these barriers be addressed? What role can the U.S. Government play in mitigating early or premature investment risks?
- How can the U.S. Government engage with academia and other workforce development programs and stakeholders to appropriately train and maintain researchers in QIS while expanding the size and scope of the `quantum-smart' workforce?
- What existing infrastructure should be leveraged, and what new infrastructure could be considered, to foster future breakthroughs in QIS research and development?
- What other activities/partnerships could the4 U.S. Government use to engage with stakeholders to ensure America's prosperity and economic growth through QIS research and development?
- How can the United States continue to attract and retain the best domestic and international talent and expertise in QIS?
- How can the United States ensure that U.S. researchers in QIS have access to cutting-edge international technologies, research facilities, and knowledge?
This RFI was previously announced following the release of the NSTC’s Subcommittee on Quantum Information Science’s “National Strategic Overview for Quantum Information Science” in 2018. The Strategic Overview directed federal agencies to address six key policy areas that would allow the U.S. to maintain global leadership in QIS. This request is being revisited with this new RFI.
All comments in response to the RFI are due by 11:59pm on July 29.
For further information on this RFI, and to submit a comment, visit: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/05/30/2019-11317/request-for-information-on-national-strategic-overview-for-quantum-information-science