In Case You Missed It Task Force on American Innovation Webinar on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Research
Aug 16, 2021
TFAI supports federally-funded scientific research and promotes its benefits to America’s economy, security, and quality of life. The Task Force is particularly concerned with research and educational funding in the physical sciences and engineering. The recent virtual briefing focused on how a combination of public and private funding is crucial for the advancement of AI.
Rep. Jerry McNerney (D-CA), Co-Chair of the Congressional Artificial Intelligence (AI) Caucus and a mathematician himself, spoke at the briefing, sharing that the goal of the Caucus is to bring together Members of Congress who are working to advance AI issues and to help inform MOC and staff on AI and its policy implications. He shared how AI has been given significant attention in Congress and highlighted some specific legislative issue currently being addressed, including the use of AI by federal government agencies, consumer safety, and mitigating the risk of bias in AI.
After Rep. McNerney concluded his remarks, a panel of experts spoke about how ML algorithmic and hardware breakthroughs are spurring cutting-edge research in the U.S. and what investments need to be made to ensure the U.S. can achieve future success in ML and AI.
- Dr. Blaise Aguera y Arcas, Vice President, Google Research
- Dr. Talitha Washington, Inaugural Director, Atlanta University Center Data Science Initiative and Professor of Mathematics, Clark Atlanta University
- Dr. John R. Smith, IBM Fellow, AI Tech, IBM Research AI, IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
- Dr. Court Corley, Chief Data Scientist and Group Leader, Data Sciences and Analytics Group, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Rep. Jay Obernolte (R-CA) and Rep. Bill Foster (D-IL) also provided remarks at the conclusion of the event.