In Case You Missed It: OSTP to Issue Guidance for Minimum Standards for Research
Aug 30, 2021
In the announcement made by Dr. Lander, he states that OSTP will work in conjunction with the National Security Council and other agencies to create guidance in three main areas:
- Disclosure Policy – ensuring that federally-funded researchers provide their funding agencies and research organizations with appropriate information concerning external involvements that may bear on potential conflicts of interest and commitment;
- Oversight and Enforcement — ensuring that federal agencies have clear and appropriate policies concerning consequences for violations of disclosure requirements and interagency sharing of information about such violations; and,
- Research Security Programs — ensuring that research organizations that receive substantial federal R&D funding (greater than $50 million annually) maintain appropriate research security programs.
Dr. Lander also outlines principles that will steer the development of the guidance:
- Protect America’s Security and Openness
- Be Clear
- Ensure Policies Do Not Fuel Xenophobia or Prejudice
For more information, please visit: https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/news-updates/2021/08/10/clear-rules-for-research-security-and-researcher-responsibility/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=FYI&dm_i=1ZJN,7HYL2,M3WXSL,UHTD1,1/.