Belle of Louisville

Belle of Louisville
1914

The Belle of Louisville, built in 1914, is the oldest operating "western rivers" steamboat.

It has the shallow-draft flat-bottom hull braced by hog-chain trusses, multiple fire-tube boilers, paddlewheel propulsion, and superstructure configuration that were characteristic of hundreds of steamboats that plied America's rivers during the 19th and 20th centuries.

 
 

Landmark Location

Fourth Street Wharf, Louisville, KY

Owner:

Louisville Metro Government

Visiting Info:

The Belle is available: for Charters, March-October; for Public, May-October. For more, please visit: http://www.belleoflouisville.org
Belle of Louisville & Spirit of Jefferson Cruises
401 W. River Road
Louisville, KY 40202
Phone: (502) 574-2992
Fax: (502) 574-3030
Reservations: (502) 574-2992 or (866) 832-0011

Ceremony Notes

Ceremony took place in the evening of April 23, 2010, aboard the steamboat. John G. Stice, Chair, ASME Louisville Section, was Master of Ceremonies; J. Lawrence (Larry) Lee, Committee on History & Heritage's Immediate Past Chair, represented the committee and spoke about its Landmarks Program; Paul Torpey, ASME Past President, bestowed the title of Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark, unveiled the plaque and presented it to Belle of Louisville's CEO, Linda Harris and Captain Mark Doty; Louisville Mayor's representative Ted Pullen pronounced April 23, 2010, as The Belle of Louisville Day; Congressional Representative John Yarmuth, and Waterfront Development President David Karem addressed the audience. Those present were treated to a wonderful dinner and a 2 hour cruise on the Ohio, during which, the Key Note Speaker, Professor Thomas L. Owen, discussed The Historic Contributions of the Belle of Louisville. There was a special presentation to captain Alan Bates for his contributions to the Belle. Closing statements by John G. Stice.