ASME Journals Digital Submission Tool Guidelines and Information
Within the text, references should be cited in numerical order according to their order of appearance. The numbered reference citation within text should be enclosed in brackets.
Example: It was shown by Prusa  that the width of the plume decreases under these conditions.
In the case of two citations, the numbers should be separated by a comma [1,2]. In the case of more than two references, the numbers should be separated by a dash [5-7].
Note: ASME primarily uses a form of the Chicago Manual of Style for reference format. Authors are encouraged to seek out precise instructions via: http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/.
ASME does not allow references to Wikipedia.
References should be listed together at the end of the paper; footnotes should not be used for this purpose.
References should be arranged in numerical order according to the sequence of citations within the text. Each reference should include the last name of each author followed by initials and/or first name.
Journal Articles and Papers in Serial Publications
To cite an online journal article in Chicago style, list the author’s name, the publication date, the title of the article, the journal name, volume, issue, the page range on which the article appears, and a DOI or URL.
For an article accessed in print, follow the same format and simply omit the DOI or URL.
If there are 11 or more authors, list the first seven in the bibliography, followed by “et al.”
Journal Article Examples:
-  Adams, Z., 2014, “Bending of an Infinite Beam on an Elastic Substrate,” ASME J Appl. Mech., 3, pp. 221-228.
- 5] Pickard, Hanna, 2014, “What Is Personality Disorder?” Philosophy, Psychiatry, & Psychology 18(3): 181–84. https://doi.org/10.1353/ppp.2011.0040.
- 9] Zhang, T. W., Khun, C., Liu, Q., and Miller, A. P., 2011, “Self-Healing Techniques,” Nature, 332(6662), pp. 888-892.
Textbooks and Monographs
-  Gibson, T.A., and Tucker, M. T., 2008, The Big Book of Cellular Studies, John Wiley and Sons, NY.
Chapter Within a Book
-  Stevens, T. T., 1999, “Stochastic Fields and Their Digital Simulation,” Stochastic Methods. T. A. Sulle, and M. Siiu, eds., Martinius Publishers, Dordrecht, Germany, pp. 22-36 URL.
Individual Conference Papers/Papers in Compiled Proceedings/Collection of Works by Numerous Authors
-  Wions, T. T., and Mills, C. D., 2006, “Structural Dynamics in Parallel Manipulation,” Proceedings of the IDETC/CIE, New Orleans, LA, September 10-13, 2005, ASME Paper No. DETC2005-99532, pp. 777-798.
-  Wayne, John “John Cowboy Videos 2009,” YouTube video, 7:00, November 13, 2009, http://www.you tube.com/ watch?v= aBcDeFgH9yz.
-  Tigues, Tim, “Dancing for Horses.” HorseLife. April 24, 2020. https://www.horselife.com/15/22/43/51.
-  “WD2000: Visual Basic Macro to Assign Clipboard Text to a String Variable,” revision 1.3, Microsoft Help and Support, last modified November 23, 2006, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212730.
-  Bryson, Mia, “One Fish, Five Fish.” FishLife. August 22, 2010. Last Modified February 20, 2021.
Theses and Technical Reports
-  Oligaria, T. T., Fredy, C. W., Popullo, A. Z., and Tucker, M. A., 20111, “Characterization of PKM Dynamics,” SAE Technical Paper No. 2011-02-8345, 07ATC-96.
-  Mollen, T., P., 2014, “Use of General Nonlinear Material in Articulated Systems,” Ph.D. dissertation, University of Boston, Boston, MA.
-  Clinton, D., 2013, “Review of Rocket Technology,” NASA Report No. NASA RE-8842.
E-Books and Online Books
When citing a book you accessed online or in the form of an e-book, simply add relevant information about its format or location to the end of your citation.
-  Tufits, Lane, 2021, To Be or Not to Be. Scholastic, Philadelphia. URL or DOI.
-  Smith, John, 2014, A Dog’s Life in Berlin. Oxford University Press, New York. : 10.1055/acprof.oso/97890.0394.000.
Citing ASME Journal Titles
In order to improve the accuracy of citation data collection, ASME has standardized the following abbreviations for the titles in the ASME Journal Program. Authors should use these abbreviations for ASME titles in their references.
Note: ASME needs to be in front of all ASME titles:
|ASME Journal Title||Abbreviation|
|Applied Mechanics Reviews||Appl Mech Rev|
|ASME Letters in Dynamic Systems and Control||ASME Letters Dyn Syst Contr|
|ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part B: Mechanical Engineering||ASCE-ASME J Risk Uncertainty Eng Syst Part B: Mech Eng|
|ASME Journal of Engineering for Sustainable Buildings and Cities||J of Sustainable Bldg and Cities|
|ASME Journal of Engineering and Science in Medical Diagnostics and Therapy||J Eng Sci Med Diagn Ther|
|Journal of Applied Mechanics||J Appl Mech|
|Journal of Autonomous Vehicles and Systems||J Auton Veh Syst|
|Journal of Biomechanical Engineering||J Biomech Eng|
|Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics||J Comput Nonlin Dyn|
|Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering||J Comput Inf Sci Eng|
|Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control||J Dyn Syst Meas Contr|
|Journal of Electrochemical Energy Conversion and Storage||J Electrochem Energy Convers Storage|
|Journal of Electronic Packaging||J Electron Packag|
|Journal of Energy Resources Technology||J Energy Res Technol|
|Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power||J Eng Gas Turbines Power|
|Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology||J Eng Mater Technol|
|Journal of Fluids Engineering||J Fluids Eng|
|Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology||J Fuel Cell Sci Technol|
|Journal of Heat Transfer||J of Heat Transfer-Transactions of the ASME|
|Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering||J Manuf Sci Eng|
|Journal of Mechanical Design||J Mech Des|
|Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics||J Mech Rob|
|Journal of Medical Devices||J Med Devices|
|Journal of Micro and Nano-Manufacturing||J Micro Nano-Manuf|
|Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine||J Nanotechol Eng Med|
|Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, Diagnostics and Prognostics of Engineering Systems||J Nondestructive Evaluation|
|Journal of Nuclear Engineering in Radiation Science||J Nucl Eng Radiat Sci|
|Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering||J Offshore Mech Arct Eng|
|Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology||J Pressure Vessel Technol|
|Journal of Solar Energy Engineering: Including Wind Energy and Building Energy Conservation||J Sol Energy Eng|
|Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications||J Therm Sci Eng Appl|
|Journal of Tribology||J Tribol|
|Journal of Turbomachinery||J Turbomach|
|Journal of Verification, Validation, and Uncertainty Quantification||J Verif Valid Uncertainty Quantif|
|Journal of Vibration and Acoustics||J Vib Acoust|