ASME Journals Digital Submission Tool Guidelines and Information
Within the text, references should be cited in numerical order according to their order of appearance. The numbered reference citation within text should be enclosed in brackets.
Example: It was shown by Prusa  that the width of the plume decreases under these conditions.
In the case of two citations, the numbers should be separated by a comma [1,2]. In the case of more than two references, the numbers should be separated by a dash [5-7].
Note: ASME primarily uses the Chicago Manual of Style for reference format. Authors are encouraged to seek out precise instructions via: http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/. ASME does not allow references to Wikipedia.
References should be listed together at the end of the paper; footnotes should not be used for this purpose.
References should be arranged in numerical order according to the sequence of citations within the text. Each reference should include the last name of each author followed by initials.
-  Wayne, John “John Cowboy Videos 2009,” YouTube video, 7:00, November 13, 2009, http://www.you tube.com/ watch?v= aBcDeFgH9yz.
-  “WD2000: Visual Basic Macro to Assign Clipboard Text to a String Variable,” revision 1.3, Microsoft Help and Support, last modified November 23, 2006, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212730.
- Note: If a site ceases to exist before publication, or if the information is modified or deleted, this must be included:  As of February 22, 2013, Sullivan was claiming on her website that … (a claim that had disappeared from her page by March 4, 2013).
Journal Articles and Papers in Serial Publications
-  Adams, Z., 2014, “Bending of an Infinite Beam on an Elastic Substrate,” ASME J Appl. Mech., 3, pp. 221-228.
-  Zhang, T. W., Khun, C., Liu, Q., and Miller, A. P., 2011, “Self-Healing Techniques,” Nature, 332(6662), pp. 888-892.
Textbooks and Monographs
-  Gibson, T.A., and Tucker, M. T., 2008, The Big Book of Cellular Studies, John Wiley and Sons, NY.
Chapter Within a Book
-  Stevens, T. T., 1999, “Stochastic Fields and Their Digital Simulation,” Stochastic Methods. T. A. Sulle, and M. Siiu, eds., Martinius Publishers, Dordrecht, Germany, pp. 22-36.
Individual Conference Papers/Papers in Compiled Proceedings/Collection of Works by Numerous Authors
-  Wions, T. T., and Mills, C. D., 2006, “Structural Dynamics in Parallel Manipulation,” Proceedings of the IDETC/CIE, New Orleans, LA, September 10-13, 2005, ASME Paper No. DETC2005-99532, pp. 777-798.
Theses and Technical Reports
-  Oligaria, T. T., Fredy, C. W., Popullo, A. Z., and Tucker, M. A., 20111, “Characterization of PKM Dynamics,” SAE Technical Paper No. 2011-02-8345, 07ATC-96.
-  Mollen, T., P., 2014, “Use of General Nonlinear Material in Articulated Systems,” Ph.D. dissertation, University of Boston, Boston, MA.
-  Clinton, D., 2013, “Review of Rocket Technology,” NASA Report No. NASA RE-8842.
Books Consulted Online
-  Smith, John, 2014, A Dog’s Life in Berlin. Oxford University Press, New York. Doi: 10.1055/acprof.oso/97890.0394.000.
Citing ASME Journal Titles
In order to improve the accuracy of citation data collection, ASME is standardizing on the following abbreviations for the titles in the ASME Journal Program. Authors should use these abbreviations for ASME titles in their references:
|ASME Journal Title||Abbreviation|
|Applied Mechanics Reviews||Appl Mech Rev|
|ASME Letters in Dynamic Systems and Control||ASME Letters Dynamic Systems|
|ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part B: Mechanical Engineering||J Risk Uncertainty|
|ASME Journal of Engineering for Sustainable Buildings and Cities||J of Sustainable Bldg and Cities|
|Journal of Applied Mechanics||J Appl Mech|
|Journal of Biomechanical Engineering||J Biomech Eng|
|Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics||J Comput Nonlin Dyn|
|Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering||J Comput Inf Sci Eng|
|Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control||J Dyn Syst-T ASME|
|Journal of Electronic Packaging||J Electron Packaging|
|Journal of Energy Resources Technology||J Energ Resour|
|Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power||J Eng Gas Turb Power|
|Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology||J Eng Mater|
|Journal of Fluids Engineering||J Fluid Eng|
|Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology||J Fuel Cell Sci Tech|
|Journal of Heat Transfer||JOURNAL OF HEAT TRANSFER-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME|
|Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering||J Manuf Sci E|
|Journal of Mechanical Design||J Mech Design|
|Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics||J Mech Robot|
|Journal of Medical Devices||J Med Devices|
|Journal of Micro and Nano-Manufacturing||J Micro Nano-Manuf|
|Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine||J Nanotech Eng Med|
|Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering||J Offshore Mech Arct|
|Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology||J Press Vess|
|Journal of Solar Energy Engineering||J Sol Energ|
|Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications||J Therm Sci Eng Appl|
|Journal of Tribology||J Tribol|
|Journal of Turbomachinery||J Turbomach|
|Journal of Vibration and Acoustics||J Vib Acoust|