Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) and Advanced Reactors
Nuclear power plants have been providing carbon-free, baseload electricity for decades. However, advances in technology have made it possible to develop new types of nuclear reactors that are smaller, more efficient, and safer than traditional large reactors. Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) and Advanced Reactors are the new frontier in nuclear power technology.
ASME has been actively working on standards development in the field of Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) and Advanced Reactors. These efforts are driven by the need to ensure public safety, support global trade, and foster knowledge transfer in the nuclear industry.
ASME Standards and Codes are critical for the design, construction, and operation of nuclear power plants. The following standards are relevant to the development and operation of Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) and Advanced Reactors:
- Boiler Pressure Vessel Code Sections
- BPV III - Rules for Construction of Nuclear Facility Components
- BPV XI - Rules for Inservice Inspection of Nuclear Power Plant Components
- BPV II, V, IX & XIII Service Sections
- OM - Operation and Maintenance
- QME-1 - Qualification of Mechanical Equipment
- CONAGT AG-1 Code on Nuclear Air and Gas Treatment
- NQA-1 Nuclear Quality Assurance
- JCNRM Nuclear Risk Management
- RA-S-1.1 Standard for Level 1/Large Early Release Frequency Probabilistic Risk Assessment
- RA-S-1.2 Severe Accident Progression and Radiological Release (Level 2) PRA Standard for Light Water Reactors (LWRs)
- RA-S-1.3 Standard for Radiological Accident Offsite Consequence Analysis (Level 3 PRA) to Support Nuclear Installation Applications
- RA-S-1.4 Probabilistic Risk Assessment Standard for Advanced NonLight Water Reactors
- 58.22 Requirements for Low Power and Shutdown Probabilistic Risk Assessment
- CNF Cranes for Nuclear Facilities
ASME is actively involved in the further develop of existing standards and the development of new standards and guidelines for SMRs and Advanced Reactors to meet the unique requirements of these innovative technologies. These efforts are being driven by a range of stakeholders, including industry, regulatory bodies, and academic institutions.
To see a list of all of ASME's activities addressing SMRs, please see ASME's SMR and Advance Reactors Portfolio.
Meetings and Events
ASME organizes a range of events and meetings focused on the development and deployment of Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) and Advanced Reactors. All of ASME's Standards Development meetings are open to any interested party. These meetings are in conjuction with their respective Standards Committees. Meeting information, frequency and staff contact information can be found on our Standards development committee platform C&S Connect.
For more information about ASME's work in the field of Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) and Advanced Reactors, please contact ASME's Director of Nuclear Codes and Standards, Kathryn Hyam.