ASME Student Members
ASME undergraduate or graduate student members worldwide are eligible for academic scholarships, with funding made possible through the ASME Foundation and the ASME Auxiliary.
Unless noted, an applicant must be an ASME Student Member to login to the online application system.
- Click to Join ASME
- Click to Renew your membership
- If you haven't received or have forgotten your ASME student member number, please request it at CustomerCare@asme.org or call 1-800-THE-ASME (1-800-843-2763).
Note for applicants from outside the United States:
Global indicates that the scholarship has no citizenship or geographic requirements. Some scholarships are available to student members studying in the United States who are from other countries. Please see the Complete List of ASME Scholarships (PDF) and note the list of ASME Scholarships available to students outside the United States.
Scholarship money for non-US students will be sent by wire transfer to your university bank account in your name and you will need to consult your tax advisor regarding your obligation for possible taxes due on that money.
ABET Accreditation Equivalency: While you do not need to be studying within the United States to be eligible for many of the ASME Scholarships, you must be enrolled in the upcoming academic year at an ABET-accredited (or equivalent) engineering degree program, or be studying at a university recognized by the Washington Accord countries, or one with an equivalent Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA). (No further information about which institutes are accredited will be available by contacting ASME.)
How to Apply
ASME student members can apply for most ASME scholarships using the ASME Online Scholarship Application.
The Online Scholarship Application is only Open December 1– March 1 (scholarships for the following academic year)
- December 1: ASME Online Scholarship Application will go live
- March 1: Online Scholarship Application closes.
- June 15 to July 15: All applicants will be notified of the scholarship results.
- August: Scholarship money will be sent to scholarship winners.
Several other financial aid opportunities are available, including student loans and graduate teaching fellowships.
Applicants submitting this online ASME scholarship application form will be considered for all of the ASME scholarships for which they are eligible, unless otherwise indicated in the description of the scholarship. This list includes:
- William J. and Marijane E. Adams, Jr., Scholarship
- American Electric Power Scholarship
- ASME Foundation Scholarships
- ASME Foundation Hanley Scholarship
- ASME Nuclear Engineering Division Scholarship
- ASME Power Division Scholarship
- ASME SHPE Member Scholarship
- Allen J. Baldwin Scholarship
- F.W. “Beich” Biechley Scholarship
- Berna Lou Cartwright Scholarship
- Carolyn and James M. Chenowith Scholarship
- Garland Duncan Scholarships
- Sylvia W. Farny Scholarship
- Kate Gleason Scholarship
- John and Elsa Gracik Scholarships
- Melvin R. Green Scholarships
- Agnes Malakate Kezios Scholarship
- Stephen T. Kugle Scholarship
- Frank and Dorothy Miller Scholarships
- Elisabeth M. and Winchell M. Parsons Scholarship
- ASME Metropolitan Section John Rice Memorial Scholarship
- Kenneth Andrew Roe Scholar
- Marjorie Roy Rothermel Scholarship
- Willis F. Thompson Memorial Scholarship
- ASME/Virginia Tech Memorial Scholarship
The ASME Online Scholarship Application has required information noted with an asterisk (*)
Enter the e-mail address you have on file with ASME and your ASME student member number. If you have misplaced your membership information, please email CustomerCare@asme.org to resend it to you. Be sure your contact info and address is up to date in the ASME database via Customer Care before opening a new application (before you log in to Apply). If you begin your application with wrong info it cannot be changed in the prepopulated fields of the application.
Once you log in to your ASME membership you will be redirected to the online application and your personal information currently on record with ASME will show in the available fields. Please make sure to enter your state in all drop down lists.
Eligibility requires you to be accepted and enrolled full-time for both semesters in an accredited college, university or community college for the 2017–18 academic year. If the upcoming school year will be your first year at a new school (example: 1st year Graduate student or transfer to new school), we will require proof from the school showing you are both accepted and enrolled (you must upload a letter or other document).
An electronic upload of your official transcript is submitted for your most current school. A high resolution electronic image of your official transcript should be uploaded. Transcript must be submitted in English or with an accompanying translation to English.
Please Note: If you plan to use a secure PDF as sent to you by your school you must first print it and/or make it into a non-secure PDF before uploading. It will not be viable if you don’t take this step, and not to do so makes your application unqualified for an ASME scholarship.
GPA (Grade Point Average)
Transcript should show your accumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale and you can use the GPA Calculator at the link provided in the application for guidance. Please use the GPA Calculator to translate other GPA scales to the 4.0 equivalent.
Please enter your anticipated resources and expenses from July 1 of the current year through June 30 for next year. If the answer is zero or the question does not apply to you, enter "0." This represents your income and expenditures during your full-time study in the upcoming academic year.
This section should show your engineering related extra activities. You may add up to five activities or none at all. First select the number of activities you want to enter, and when you have done so describe them all in the text box provided.
Submit an essay in the space provided, succinctly describing (as appropriate):
- Your personal interests and goals in mechanical engineering;
- Contributions to the profession (e.g., publications, research, innovations, leadership, etc.);
- Participation and/or achievement in professional societies, school, community groups (e.g., offices held, programs developed, etc.); and
- Any other relevant facts you feel may be pertinent (e.g., employment, family obligations, disabilities, etc.).
Ask a faculty member, professor, or supervising engineer who knows your work to comment on your character, engineering involvement and potential for leadership or for making a significant contribution to the mechanical engineering profession. This can be based upon specific examples drawn from your coursework, projects, or activities that support your Essay statement.
Following the instructions in the application, Submit at least one recommendation letter (or a maximum of two). You or your recommender/s may upload signed recommendation letter(s) in PDF format.
You must click the "SUBMIT " button on the final tab/page to complete the application and mark it eligible for evaluation. Remember, you must only fill in the application once to be considered for all the ASME Scholarships. Once you have submitted your application, you cannot make any further changes.
Requesting Changes about a Submitted Application: If you have any questions regarding an application that has been submitted, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Name of student
- ASME student member number
- Your question, a short description of the problem you've experienced, or the specific changes in question.
We recommend using the newest version of any browser for optimal performance of our software. More specifically, here are the following browsers and versions our software supports:
Chrome (current stable version)
Safari 4.0 and above
Firefox 3.6 and above
AVOID: Internet Explorer
If using a browser that you have earlier used to log into your ASME account you may likely need to log out and delete your cookies in order to be directed to the application rather than your ASME account. If that still does not direct you to the application, log out, close all of the browser windows and open a fresh browser window—preferably Chrome.
To install flash, go to: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Scholarship Management System provided by WizeHive