Reed Gold Mine Ten-Stamp Mill

1895

typical late 19th-century western-US stamp mill

The first authenticated discovery of gold occurred on the Cabarrus County farm of John Reed in 1799, sparking the nation's first gold rush. During its peak years, more than a million dollars of gold was recovered a year, making North Carolina a leader in gold production until 1848. This mill, built by the Mecklenburg Iron Works of Charlotte, North Carolina, is original except for the timber work. Two groups of five 750-pound stamps with 5- to 7-inch lift, rose and fell thirty-five times a minute to yield a finely crushed ore. It is typical of those used in the late nineteenth century, not only in this state but in the western regions as well.

Century-old working stamp mill for crushing ore at Reed Gold Mine.
Image courtesy N.C. Historic Sites, Division of Archives and History.

Comments from Visitors/Members
1992 Survey by Kenneth A. Beatty: Site is staffed throughout the year. Indoor museum, guided underground tours and separate building housing the ten-stamp mill are available at this facility. Site is well maintained and has private parking, restroom facilities and good access. Many school tours are conducted at the facility.

 
 

Landmark Location

Reed Gold Mine State Historic Site
9621 Reed Mine Road
Midland, NC 28107

Owner or plaque location,
if different than above

NC Dept of Cultural Resources

Visiting Info

for info go to the Reed Gold Mine site or phone (704) 721-4653

Related Links

Reed Gold Mine website
http://www.nchistoricsites.org/reed

Ceremony Notes

Designated by the Piedmont-Carolina Section, April 1983

Plaque Location, if specific

in same building with mill