Duquesne Incline

Duquesne Incline
1877

second US passenger incline

Designed by Sam Diescher, son-in-law of the Monongahela's designer John Endres, the Duquesne Incline opened May 20, 1877, as the second of seventeen built and operated in the Pittsburgh area. It has operated with only minor interruptions for the last one hundred years. A preservation group from Duquesne Heights and Mount Washington interceded in 1962 to refurbish this incline to working order.

Like the Monongahela, the Duquesne was steam powered and then converted to electric and updated with modern safety devices. The Duquesne Incline used individual maple bull gear teeth in the hoisting machinery. The original cars with walnut paneling and incised carved decorations are still in service. The platform beneath the cars, still intact, was used to store groceries and produce for the passengers. Though little is known of the original steam engine, other records on this incline's history have been preserved.

 
 

Landmark Location

Port Authority of Allegheny County
1220 Grandview Avenue
Pittsburgh, Pa.

Visiting Info:

regular hours

Ceremony Notes

May 1977