ASME Digital Collection Launches On Powerful New Publishing Platform With Silverchair
Mar 4, 2013
by Jean Thilmany ASME.org
NEW YORK, March 4, 2013 – ASME (the American Society of Mechanical Engineers) has announced the launch of the ASME Digital Collection (formerly the ASME Digital Library) on SCM6, an online publishing platform from Silverchair Information Systems. The state-of-the art platform will provide expanded accessibility and discoverability for ASME's e-Books, journals and conference proceedings by leveraging the latest in semantic technology and a host of other features and functionality.
“The new publishing platform from Silverchair allows us to fully integrate all of our content and improve information discovery for researchers, educators and students,” said Philip DiVietro, ASME Managing Director of Publishing. “The ASME Digital Collection’s unparalleled depth, breadth and quality of mechanical engineering technical content is easier and faster to access than ever. We are pleased to collaborate with Silverchair to provide a unified user experience.”
The Silverchair SCM6 platform features a wide range of applications and capabilities including:
- A new taxonomy that delivers highly accurate and related content of greater relevance drawn from ASME's collection of proceedings, journal articles as well as eBooks
- Full text and taxonomic search capabilities optimized for mechanical engineering information with precise filtering by multiple facets
- New topical collections to browse content in specific subject areas and easily find the most recent publications in those areas across all ASME publications
- Enhanced content display and tools enables sophisticated organization and viewing of tables and figures, the ability to export to PowerPoint slides for lectures and presentations, as well as additional tools to manage content sharing, citation and permission requests, and more
- Improved usability, information discovery and ease of reading facilitated by an intuitive user interface employing the best practices in web interface design
- Personalization capabilities that enable customized page display, saved figures and tables, email alert management, subscription summaries and article access as well as mobile access activation through a personal login
- Optimized viewing for all web-enabled smart phones and tablets
“The launch of the new ASME Digital Collection is a milestone for Silverchair and a new benchmark for STM publishers,” said Thane Kerner, CEO of Silverchair Information Systems. “Working with ASME, we have extended our semantic coverage across mechanical engineering, integrating one of the largest portfolios of technical information available today into a cohesive digital library optimized for the information needs of today’s professional users.”
About Silverchair Information Systems
Founded in 1993, Silverchair delivers advanced semantic technologies, publishing platforms, and e-learning solutions to scientific, technical and medical publishers, professional societies, and the federal government. Silverchair is headquarted in Charlottesville, Va. Additional information is available at www.silverchair.com.
ASME helps the global engineering community develop solutions to real world challenges. Founded in 1880 as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ASME is a not-for-profit professional organization that enables collaboration, knowledge sharing and skill development across all engineering disciplines, while promoting the vital role of the engineer in society. ASME codes and standards, publications, conferences, continuing education and professional development programs provide a foundation for advancing technical knowledge and a safer world.