Freeman Scholar Award
The Freeman Scholar Award Program is awarded annually.
A person of significant expertise in fluids engineering is selected as the Freeman Scholar by the Freeman Scholar Award Committee and the Committee on Honors. Freeman Scholars are expected to review a coherent topic in their specialty, write a review article for the Journal of Fluids Engineering and present a plenary lecture during the Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting.
The Freeman Scholar Program is supported by the ASME Freeman Fund and was established in 1970 by John R. Freeman, noted hydraulic engineer and scholar, Honorary Member and Twenty-fourth President of ASME.
|Form of Award:||A $10,000 honorarium, a certificate, and a travel supplement not to exceed $750.|
|Administrative Responsibility:||Fluids Engineering Division|
|Nomination Deadline:||September 1|
|Nomination Sent To:||Fran McKivor|
|Awarded By:||Committee on Honors (COH)|
Applications for the 2021 Freeman Scholar Award must be submitted by September 1, 2020. Complete applications must be received by the ASME Committee on Honors, attention Fran McKivor, Two Park Avenue, New York, NY, 10016-5990, or electronically to email@example.com. The applications must include:
- A statement on the applicant'/s qualifications for undertaking a major study in the selected area.
- A statement on the significance of the selected area including the rationale that the contribution of the prospective Freeman Scholar will make a significant and timely impact to current and future challenges in Fluids Engineering practice.
- A description of the ideas to be considered and the technology to be reviewed.
A minimum of three supporting letters from persons familiar with the review area and the applicant. All the previous Freeman Scholar review articles may be found in the pertinent issues of the Journal of Fluids Engineering. Standing Committee on the Freeman Scholar Program
- Goodarz Ahmadi (Chair), Clarkson University
- Promode R. Bandyopadhyay, Naval Undersea Warfare Center
- Sivaramakrishnan Balachandar, University of Florida
|1971||Jack W. Hoyt, Ronald F. Probstein|
|1974||Jack E. Cermak|
|1976||William J. McCroskey|
|1980||Edward M. Greitzer|
|1984||A.K.M. Fazle Hussain|
|1986||John B. Heywood|
|1992||William A. Sirignano|
|1994||David E. Stock|
|1996||Kirti N. Ghia|
|2002||Efstathios E. Michaelides|
|2004||Gary S. Settles|
|2006||Promode R. Bandyopadhyay|
|2008||William K. George|
|2009||Joseph C. Klewicki|
|2010||Michael W. Reeks|
|2018||Ramesh K. Agarwal|
|2019||Upendra S. Rohatgi|