- Is the candidate currently Member grade?
- Does the candidate have 10 or more years of active practice
and 10 years of corporate membership in ASME?
- Are you (the initiator) currently a member?
If the answer to any of these is 'no' and will be 'no' at the time of submission, STOP! The candidate does not fulfill the grade requirements and the Fellows application will indicate that the candidate is not eligible. If you are unsure, contact Fran McKivor at 212-591-7094 or Leila Persaud at 212-591-7071 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Members of the Fellows Review Committee shall not initiate or sponsor a Fellow proposal during their terms.
A Sample Fellow Proposal and Sample Sponsor Letters are available to help guide through this process.
Obtain a copy of your candidate's resume. The resume will generally give you most of the details you will require in preparing the proposal and will also be a valuable source of sponsors.
- 3 sponsor letters, plus the nominator's letter, are required. (A total of 4 letters will be accepted).
2 of the three 3 sponsors, plus the nominator, must be ASME members or Fellows. (For membership numbers, please contact email@example.com • 1.800.843.2763 • 1.646.616.3100
- A sponsor, who is not an ASME Fellow or Member, should be chosen to broaden the base of sponsor support.
- No more than one letter should come from the nominee's employer.
- Sponsor letters should be addressed to the Committee of Past Presidents.
- All sponsors must have an acceptable understanding of the Society's criteria, the candidate's qualifications, and a sound basis for judgment.
- Letters from each sponsor must clearly show direct knowledge of the candidate's significant achievements and indicate why this individual should be a Fellow.
- Contact your sponsors. Explain your mission, brief them on the kind of letter desired, gain their confidence and approval. Set a target date for receipt of the letters of recommendation. Remind them that their letters should be succinct and to the point, identifying specifics qualifying the candidate, not generalities.
- On-line application process: sign onto the Fellows site – fellows.asme.org
- Log in to the nomination site with your e-mail and password which will bring you to your Welcome page.
- To start a new nomination, click on the line: Start a new Nomination.
- Enter the candidates member number, First Name and Last Name. (If a membership number is needed, please call Fran McKivor at 212-591-7094 or email firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The nomination will automatically be assigned an ID number. The nominators page and the nominees page will automatically populate with current membership information.
- Documents can now be uploaded onto the application at this time by clicking on each individual tab.
A nominator can go in and out of the on-line nomination process and add documents to the nomination at any time.
Submitting information onto the on-line application:
Note: All Documents uploaded onto the application must be in PDF form.
- Nominators Letter: To upload your nominator letter, click on the Add Your Sponsor Letter tab. The sponsor page will be automatically populated with the nominators current member information. At the bottom of the page, click on Choose File to upload the letter. Click Save this information, and the pdf letter will be save on the application.
- Members: To upload an ASME member sponsors letter, click on the Add Member Sponsor. Submit the sponsors member number, First Name and Last Name. The sponsor page will be automatically populated with the sponsors current member information. At the bottom of the page, click on Choose File to upload the pdf letter. Click Save this Information, and the letter will be saved on the application.
- Non-Member: To upload a letter from a sponsor that is not a member of ASME, click on the Add Non-Member Information and fill in the sponsors information. At the bottom of the page, Click on Choose File to upload the pdf letter. Click Save this Information, and the letter will be saved on the application.
Citation: Click on Add Citation button. The Citation can be typed into the space provided or click on Choose File and upload the citation. Click on Save this Information and the citation will be saved on the application.
Note: The Citation should be 100 words or less.
Qualifications document: Click on Add new Qualification and then click on Select Qualification. Submit the qualification information into the space provided or click on Choose File and upload the Qualifications pdf document. Click on Save this Information and the qualifications document will be saved on the application.
The initiator can select one of the nine qualification categories to describe the candidate's significant engineering achievements. One category is sufficient, but more than one category may be utilized if the initiator believes it is necessary to make a credible case for the candidate. Qualifications must be submitted for each category selected.
Education: Click on Add New School and add the educational history, list relevant degrees in chronological order and indicate brief description in 200 words or less in the space provided or click on Choose File and upload the Educational information. Click on Save this Information and the Education History will be saved on the application.
Résumé: To add a Curriculum Vitae/Résumé, fill in the Company/University History, Position Start Date and click on the box if this is the nominees current employment. Type in employment/publications information in the space provided or click on Choose File and upload the pdf résumé/publications document onto the application and click Save this Information.
The résumé will be saved on the application. - It is important the curriculum vitae/resume include Work History, Patents, Publications (most recent or significant, no more than ten) and Contribution to the Profession (ASME, etc.) and additional significant engineering achievements.
Once all nomination documents have been uploaded click on the last button "Check List" and this will bring you to the Fellow Nomination Checklist page. Go thru the check list item by item to ensure that the nomination documents have all been submitted and are correct. This is the time that the nominator can go back and review all documents loaded onto the site.
The initiator's work is not done. Once Fellow election is completed, the initiator is requested to arrange for presentation of the Fellow certificate and lapel pin at an appropriate ASME meeting. A membership card will be sent to the initiator along with the certificate and lapel pin. The initiator should try to have a digital photograph of the newly elected Fellow.
What Happens to the Nomination? How Long Does it Take?
- Receipt is acknowledged in writing to the initiator. If you don't receive an email acknowledging receipt you will know that the proposal was not received by the Fellows Department.
- The nomination is then forwarded for consideration by the Fellows Review Committee (FRC) in either March, June, September or December. Review by the FRC will take two (2) weeks.
- If the FRC defers action, the initiator will be notified as to the reason(s).
- The nominations approved by the FRC are then forwarded to the Committee of Past Presidents (CPP), for final consideration. The CPP is given one week to review the nominations.
- Upon the CPP advancement of the candidate to the grade of Fellow, a Fellow certificate, Fellow lapel pin, and name badge are sent to the initiator to arrange for presentation.
- The entire process takes approximately 6-7 weeks.
Thank you for your active participation in the ASME Fellows Program!