Length: 1 days
This one-day MasterClass provides an overview to the practical use of finite element analysis (FEA), to address linear elastic, static FEA using the guidelines of ASME Section VIII, Division 2, Part 5 – Design by Analysis. The attendee is guided through the practical analytical requirements of VIII-2 Part 5 and how they are included as part of a Design by Rule basis for component sizing and analysis. Example results are distributed and evaluated in the class so that the attendee develops an understanding of what the validated FEA should produce and how to incorporate it into the acceptance and safe performance of the component.
Upon completion, attendees will be able to
- Review FEA reports and evaluate their quality and applicability with respect to the intended overall design
- Estimate the time required to complete, verify and check finite element calculations
- Identify which sections of ASME Code VIII-2 apply to FEA and Design by Analysis
- Assess finite element validation methods and results
- Estimate the accuracy of finite element analyses
- Select basic finite element types from any finite element program
- Apply rule-of-thumb guidelines for mesh refinement and boundary condition location
- Identify areas of ASME Code VIII-2 in which interpretation is required and have a basis for rule interpretations
Click HERE to review the course outline.
This MasterClass assumes that participants have a basic knowledge of the ASME Pressure Vessel Codes & Standards; and either the B31.1 or B31.3 of the ASME B31 Codes for Pressure Piping. The course material is finite element neutral and applies equally to generally available commercial finite element programs.
Participants are encouraged to bring examples of particularly challenging issues encountered on the job for in-class discussion. Class time is limited, and each participant issue may not be addressed as a function of complexity, but every effort will be made to address at least key items of each problem.
Who Should Attend
This MasterClass is intended for plant staff engineers, designers, project engineers, maintenance engineers, inspectors, and regulators who need practical guidelines for preparing or reviewing ASME VIII Design reports that incorporate some aspect of finite element analysis.
For venue information, please click HERE.