Length: 1 days
In June 2009, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) issued Regulatory Guide 1.28 Revision 4, which endorsed ASME NQA-1-2008 with the 2009 addenda. RegGuide 1.28 describes methods that the NRC considers acceptable for complying with the provisions of 10 CFR 50 and 10 CFR 52, which refer to 10 CFR 50, Appendix B for establishing and implementing a quality assurance (QA) program for the design and construction of nuclear power plants and fuel reprocessing plants. The 2009 addenda to ASME NQA-1 require computer programs that were not developed to the requirements of NQA-1 be dedicated as required by Requirement 7 and Subpart 2.14. Computer programs most significantly impacted by this change are those used in design and analysis.
This one-day MasterClass examines the requirements and guidance available for using commercial grade computer programs for design and analysis at nuclear facilities. Topics are discussed with an emphasis on classifying computer programs, applying the ASME NQA-1 requirements to computer programs, leveraging approaches suggested by the EPRI and ASME guidance to show how a technical evaluation can be completed for a computer program used to perform design and analysis in nuclear applications. 10 CFR Part 50 and ASME NQA-1-2008 with the 2009 Addenda Quality Assurance Requirements for Nuclear Facility Applications are used as the framework for this discussion.
You Will Learn To
- Explain the terms and definitions applicable to computer programs and commercial grade dedication (CGD)
- Determine what computer programs should be subject to the CGD process
- Recognize where requirements for computer programs can be found in NQA-1 and which are applicable to the CGD process
- Describe the relationship between the NQA-1-2012 guidance and the EPRI TR 1025243 Plant Engineering: Guideline for the Acceptance of Commercial-Grade Design and Analysis Computer Programs Used in Nuclear Safety-Related Applications
- Review the non-mandatory guidance that will be provided in the NQA-1-2012 edition
- Walk through the Technical Evaluation process for commercial grade computer programs and software services
- Explain the content of a CGD Plan for commercial grade computer programs and software services
Attendees will be sent material via email, which they must review prior to the course. They will be asked about actual scenarios that they have encountered, which they would like discussed during the class.
Who Should Attend
This MasterClass is an essential resource for any NRC or DOE facility, regulatory, customer, contractor, EPC, or supplier that must meet the requirement ASME NQA-1 - 2008 with the 2009 addendum. This includes positions, such as design engineers, software engineers, IT personnel, quality engineers, procurement personnel, program managers, and auditors.
This MasterClass is structured on the assumption that participants have a basic understanding of the software QA requirements found in ASME NQA-1 Parts I and II.
For venue information, please click HERE.