Length: 4 days
This course provides guidance for applying the requirements of the updated Edition of Mandatory Appendix XIII Design by Stress Analysis per ASME BPV Code, Section III, Division 1 Class 1, 2 and 3 vessels, pumps, valves and piping in nuclear power plants. Prior to the publication of the 2017 edition, Appendix XIII applied only to alternatively-design NC-3200 vessels. Now, Appendix XIII is more broadly applicable.
Participants review the basis for design by stress analysis and how design by stress analysis can be used in conjunction with the design rules for Section III Division 1 Class 1, 2 and 3 components in Subsections NB, NC and ND respectively; stress classification and processing finite element analysis results using stress classification cut lines; as well as Class 1, 2 and 3 allowable stress intensities and stresses per Appendix XIII.
Additionally, participants delve into the process of evaluating stresses caused by pressure, mechanical and thermal loading combinations and how those evaluations are performed in accordance with the requirements of the newly written “hopper diagram” in Appendix XIII; evaluation of Level A and Level B cyclic loadings (fatigue); evaluation of special stress limits such as pure shear, torsional shear, shear due to loads near edges, triaxial stresses, compressive stresses, buckling beyond external pressure loading, seismic loads, brittle fracture; and design reports.
You Will Learn To
- Identify the basis, history and failure modes driving the requirements of Appendix XIII
- Apply ASME BPV Code, Section III, Division 1, Mandatory Appendix XIII: Design by Stress Analysis Hopper Diagram and Stress Classification to the appropriate stress intensity or stress criteria
- Determine when to apply Design by Stress Analysis for non-bolts and bolts and when Design-by-Rules takes precedent over Design by Stress Analysis
- Apply the Appendix XIII Design by Stress Analysis to evaluation of Class 1, 2, and 3 vessels, pumps, valves and piping; and interaction of design rules with fabrication and inspection rules
- Identify the differences for applying Design by Stress Analysis to Class 1, 2, and 3 components
- Apply Appendix XIII requirements with solid element and plate-shell element finite element analysis of pressure, mechanical and thermal loadings
- Apply the process, analysis, and qualification for the Design, Operating Levels A, B, C and D and Test loadings and explain how results are reported in a Section III Division 1 Component Design Report
- Determine when and how to apply Limit Load and Plastic Analysis
Please click HERE to view the course outline.
Who Should Attend
Engineers, managers and quality personnel and inspectors involved in the design, analysis or fabrication of components or structures for nuclear power plants.
For venue information, please click HERE.