This exam and accompanying, preparatory Self Study course are available on ASME’s Learning Hub, our online learning platform, and is designed to be taken at your convenience, and on your own schedule. Course completion is not required, though highly encouraged.
ASME’s PCC-1 recommends that joint assemblers and supervisors be qualified by an organization in accordance with the requirements contained in Appendix A. In order to maintain this qualification, the Qualified Bolting Specialist shall take and pass the Bolting Specialist Requalification exam (which covers the Training of Fundaments per PCC-1, Appendix A, Section 2.3), at least once every 3 years.
This Requalification Examination is for ASME's Bolting Qualified Specialists seeking renewal of their Qualification. Included in the purchase of this exam is a four-module self-study course that highlights the key knowledge and skills from the Foundational Knowledge portion of ASME’s Bolting Specialist Qualification Program and helps to prepare you for the Exam. Candidates who successfully pass the online examination with a score of 90% or better on the final assessment will receive an ASME Qualified Bolting Specialist Requalification Certificate. The exam must be passed within 3 attempts for participants to successfully renew their ASME Certificate for the Qualified Bolting Specialist.*
In addition to passing the exam and in accordance with ASME PCC-1, Appendix A, Section A-2.6.1: To maintain the qualification as a Qualified Bolting Specialist, an individual shall:
- Become familiar with the applications of new technology in gaskets, flanges, fasteners, assembly equipment, and joint assembly techniques.
- Maintain knowledge of current local administrative or operating procedures necessary to discharge duties.
- Maintain knowledge of the most recent revisions of ASME PCC-1 and other applicable standards, as listed in para. A-1.3.
- Maintain awareness of new techniques and technologies in bolted joint assembly and disassembly.
- Actively participate in selected meetings, seminars, and educational programs related to duties.
- Have workplace access to the latest edition of ASME PCC-1 and the applicable documents referenced in para. A-1.3.
- Attest to compliance with items (1) through (6) and provide at least two references from co-workers or his or her employer upon qualification and triennial renewal of qualification. At least one reference shall be from a supervisor at the individual’s current or previous place of work.
Who should attend?
This Requalification Exam is only for those individuals who have successfully completed all parts of ASME’s Bolting Specialist Qualification Program and hold an ASME Certificate for the Qualified Bolting Specialist. Participants will be required to upload a copy of their certificate.
*This qualification does not make any determination of an individual's capabilities in applying this general knowledge within a specific work environment or under actual working conditions. It remains the sole responsibility of the employer of the individual to determine competency for assigned tasks and work. It is not a certification.