ASME.org Community Rules
The addition of social networking capabilities to ASME.org (the "Site") provides registered ASME participants who participate in various ASME groups ("ASME.org Participants" or "Group Participants") with the ability to share commentary, messages, information, documents, images, questions, links and other material. ASME believes that these social networking capabilities will facilitate knowledge-sharing within the engineering community, thereby furthering ASME's mission to serve diverse global communities by advancing, disseminating and applying engineering knowledge for improving the quality of life, and by communicating the excitement of engineering.
This is an online community for thoughtful and courteous debate and discussion. ASME's goal is to encourage and stimulate community communications and collaboration. Participants should therefore keep in mind that in this professional community, professional behavior is expected at all times. Use of the Site to shock, intimidate, harass, or otherwise threaten others will not be permitted.
The community guidelines and rules outlined below ("Community Guidelines") will help ASME.org Participants use the Site's social networking features responsibly.
The following guidelines apply to your use of the Site, and to any content you submit, share, upload, or post ("User Content"):
- You are solely responsible for your social networking activities on the Site as well as the content you submit, share, upload, or post.
- The information on ASME.org, including content that is shared by Group Participants and other users, is made available for general informational purposes only. Do not treat such information as professional advice (or as a substitute for it).
- Do not represent yourself as being an ASME employee or agent for any purpose whatsoever. ASME volunteers may identify themselves as affiliated with ASME, but it must always be clear that ASME is not represented in any way, and that any opinions expressed by a volunteer or any other Participant are personal opinions, and not the opinions of ASME.
- Do not submit, share, upload, or post confidential information. All information accessible through ASME.org, and any ideas, inventions or know-how disclosed through such information will be available to other Users.
- Do not violate any party's copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or right to privacy. Again, do not disclose materials or information that are considered confidential.
- Do not use ASME.org to send chain letters, unsolicited advertising, or any other junk or bulk mail or solicitations for your own benefit or for the benefit of third-party organizations, businesses, products, or services.
- Do not impersonate or try to pass yourself off as another person.
- Do not post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any information or files that are unlawful, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, or libelous, or that are threatening, abusive, or harassing on the basis of an individual's (or group's) religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
- Do not upload, transmit or otherwise make available any files, code or other materials that contain viruses or that disrupt the Site's underlying systems.