ASME student members can apply for most ASME scholarships using the ASME Online Scholarship Application.
The Online Scholarship Application is now Closed
(scholarships for the 2013-2014 academic year)
Deadline: March 1
- The ASME Online Scholarship Application will go live every year in early January and will only remain open until March 1, when it will become unavailable. Students must reapply each year to be reconsidered.
- This scholarship application must be completed and all corresponding information postmarked or e-mailed by March 1. (Corresponding information includes official transcripts and recommendation letters.)
- All applicants will be notified of the scholarship results between June 15 and June 30.
- Scholarship money will be sent to scholarship winners by the end of August. (NOTE: All scholarship payments will be made directly to the student's college or university to be used for educational costs in the following academic year of study.)
See individual descriptions
of the available financial aid and general requirements here.
Applicants submitting this online ASME scholarship application form will be considered for all of the ASME scholarships for which they are eligible, unless otherwise indicated in the description of the scholarship. This list includes:
- William J. and Marijane E. Adams, Jr., Scholarship
- American Electric Power Scholarship
- ASME Foundation Scholarships
- ASME Foundation Hanley Scholarship
- ASME Nuclear Engineering Division Scholarship
- ASME Power Division Scholarship
- F.W. “Beich” Biechley Scholarship
- Garland Duncan Scholarships
- Kate Gleason Award
- John and Elsa Gracik Scholarships
- Melvin R. Green Scholarships
- Stephen T. Kugle Scholarship
- Frank and Dorothy Miller ASME Auxiliary Scholarships
- ASME Metropolitan Section John Rice Memorial Scholarship
- Kenneth Andrew Roe Scholarship
- Willis F. Thompson Memorial Scholarship
- Bruce J. Heim Foundation Scholarship
- ASME/Virginia Tech Memorial Scholarship
Several other financial aid opportunities are available, including student
loans and graduate
- You must be a current ASME student member to login to the ASME Online
Scholarship Application system. Click here to join
ASME or renew your dues.
- If you haven't received or have forgotten your ASME student member number, please request it at CustomerCare@asme.org or call 1-800-THE-ASME (1-800-843-2763).
- All application information should be mailed as indicated to:
2 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016
- It is recommended that you follow-up until every item is checked off the “checklist” below. Practice your “polite persistence.”
The ASME Online Scholarship Application has seven sections:
1) You must close out and log off of your main ASME membership page before clicking on the link to take you to the scholarship application. If any other ASME windows are open to the member page you will keep returning there by default. When you log out/close out of all windows and start over you can bypass the default and go to the application.
2) Enter the e-mail address you have on file with ASME and your ASME student member number. The login information is space sensitive. Be sure to eliminate any unnecessary spaces before or after your e-mail address and student member number. If you have misplaced your membership information, please email CustomerCare@asme.org so they can look it up for you.
- Personal Information
Submit all required personal information (name, address, etc.) as requested. Required information is noted with an asterisk (*).
- Education Information
Ssubmit all required education information. Required information is noted with an asterisk (*).To be eligible for an ASME Scholarship you must be accepted and enrolled in an accredited college, university or community college for the 2013–14 academic year. If the upcoming school year will be your first year at a new school, we will require proof from the school showing you are accepted and enrolled.
Official transcripts are submitted for all past Engineering study at colleges, universities or community colleges that you have attended. Enter academic institutions one by one, starting with the most recent first. For every school you list, we will expect a transcript to arrive showing your GPA. Your cumulative GPA that you list should represent an average of all your GPA grades when you provide it in the application. Transcripts can either be emailed or mailed with the postmark dated by March 1, or emailed as a high-resolution color PDF to:
2 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016
- Financial Information
Please enter your anticipated resources and expenses from July 1 through June 30. If the answer is zero or the question does not apply to you, enter "0."
- This represents your income and expenditures during your full-time study in the upcoming academic year.
You may add as many activities as you wish or none at all. The online application form will allow you to save and add additional activity information as necessaryuntil you click on “submit application.”
- Essay & Recommendations (Recommendation Letters)
Submit an essay (not to exceed approximately 450 words as our application program counts them—please cut back until it fits).
Succinctly describes in an Essay (as appropriate):
- Your personal interests and goals in mechanical engineering;
- Contributions to the profession (e.g., publications, research, innovations, leadership, etc.);
- Participation and/or achievement in professional societies, school, community groups (e.g., offices held, programs developed, etc.); and
- Any other relevant facts you feel may be pertinent (e.g., employment, family obligations, disabilities, etc.).
Also, submit at least one recommendation letter (or a maximum of two). Ask a faculty member/teacher to comment on your character and potential for leadership or for making a significant contribution to the mechanical engineering profession. This can be based upon specific examples drawn from your coursework, projects, or activities that support your essay statement.
You may upload signed recommendation letter(s) in PDF format only. If you choose to send your letter(s) of recommendation, please be sure to write in the name(s) of your recommender(s) in the space provided. They must be postmarked/dated March 1 of the deadline period and mailed or emailed to the administrator identified above.
- Submit Application
You must click the "SUBMIT APPLICATION" button on the last tab/page to complete the application. Remember, this application is the same one used for all the ASME Scholarships. You must only fill in the application once to be considered for all the ASME Scholarships. Once you have submitted your application, you will not be allowed to make any further changes.
Requesting Changes about a Submitted Application: If you have any questions regarding an application that has been submitted, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Name of student
- ASME student member number
- Your question, a short description of the problem you've experienced, or the specific changes in question.
If any of the following items is left undone or omitted your scholarship application will be considered incomplete. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure all parts of the application are complete and received by the deadlines set.
- All sections of the online application must be complete. This includes Personal, Education, Financial, and Activity sections, as well as your Essay & Recommendations section.
- Recommendation(s) — Make sure the name of each recommender is entered in the fields provided.
- Letters of recommendation can be either downloaded individually a PDF within the application, or they can mailed and postmarked by March 1. You will receive e-mail confirmations at the time the transcript is entered as received by ASME staff. If you have not seen confirmation of receipt for a letter, make sure to call your recommender and find out if and when the letter was sent.
- Each transcript sent for each school must be postmarked by March 1. (You may wish to collect and send them all together.) You will receive e-mail confirmations at the time each transcript is entered as “received” by ASME staff. If you have not seen confirmation for a school, make sure to call them to find out if and when the transcript was sent. A color, high-resolution scan of the official transcript can be emailed in PDF format to Beth Lefever and is acceptable to fulfill this requirement. **PLEASE MAKE YOUR REQUESTS EARLY SO YOUR SCHOOL OFFICE HAS PLENTY OF TIME TO FULFILL YOUR REQUEST.**
- When you have checked over your application, make sure to “SUBMIT” your application on the last page.
*FINAL NOTE: If you log off without saving your info in each section, it will be lost and you'll have to retype it. Do not log off without completing the application form, printing each section, and clicking "SUBMIT"; make sure all your info is correct before the final submit.